Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Why St. Mary Magdalen?



At the Patron Saint Index , it states that St. Mary Magdalen is the patron saint of women, converts, contemplatives, and penitent women. Since I am all three, I thought she was a good choice for my blog title.

I know that Mary Magdalene (alternate spelling) has a lot associated with her, from Gnosticism and the purported, much-debated Gospel of Mary Magdalene, to The Da Vinci Code. I don't believe that Mary Magdalene was the wife of Jesus, or the mother of his children. While Jesus, as a "good Jewish boy" of the time, would have probably taken a wife by the time he died in his thirties, it seems unlikely. And you'd think that it would have been mentioned in historical accounts or in the other gospels.

The main reason I chose St. Mary Magdalen, other than her patronage, is because of all the incredible art that she has been the subject of over the centuries. I'll try to post a picture every time I blog. Eventually, I plan to make a notebook of works about her as part of my Catechumenate process.

(My birthday has lots of saints, but I don't particularly associate with any one of them. Instead, I chose St. Rita of Cascia, who is the patron saint of many, many things, most important being the patron saint of impossible causes. So many things in my life have been declared to me as impossible, and I've thought even more things to be impossible.)

St. Rita of Cascia, with her stigmata.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home